Saturday, February 26, 2011

Q&A with American Idol's Steven Tyler

Steven Tyler thinks he and Randy Jackson were separated at birth!
Steven Tyler thinks he and Randy Jackson were separated at birth!

The ever colourful rock star Steven Tyler chatted about his job as judge on American Idol recently and here's what he had to say:

Did you have any concerns joining the show and finding your own identity as a judge?
None whatsoever. I got such an identity with this band and for all the videos that I�ve done I figured it�d be a shoo-in. The part that�s a little difficult is judging young kids that I think they all have a voice, but actually being honest and open. So it took me a couple of minutes to get into the role of that, but I�ve grown accustomed to it and it�s fun. I kind of take what I�ve grown up with, which is being a very harsh judge of myself � my own vocals, my own band � and kind of laid that across the talent that comes across my view. 

Have you said anything so far as to any of the contestants during the auditions that you�ve regretted immediately afterwards?
Yes. I made some harsh comments the first week, and they snapped back and said, �What do you mean?� But I only did two of those.  There were only two of those because I didn�t want that to happen again. I couldn�t say that you were no good without substantiating why, and a couple times that I said, �You know you just don�t have it,� they did ask me why, and I couldn�t tell them why. It�s like I�m looking for that certain something.

Are you bringing a little more of a rock element to the show?
Yes, my personality but I�ve got a good ear for all music. It�s not just a one phase type judging. I�m good for all different music and listening to voicing, and the spirit of, and the imperfections of someone�s voice because not all great singers make great rock stars. It�s some of those voices that aren�t the best that make the best rock stars I mean to say. So it�s been fun. I don�t take this too seriously and I take it seriously, so it�s been a real hoot for me.

Did Jennifer Lopez's involvement influence your decision to be a part of the show?
It did at first. At first, I was told she wasn�t, she was out, and I was a little bummed, but I met Randy first and I loved Randy. I thought he and I got on within the first five minutes. It was like we were separated at birth, and we had so many similarities, and the music curriculum and program. Whatever he�s been through I�ve been through, and we mentioned names and we knew everybody and it was like how we hadn�t met before was beyond me. And then when I was on the way from England to America, I saw J. Lo�s movie Back-Up Plan and I fell in love with her. The way she played her part I could so relate to and I thought anybody that could be this open and honest even acting �. All I can tell you is when I met her she was exactly all that and I was grateful that she got the part.

American Idol Season 10 airs Fridays and Saturdays at 10pm and 10.30pm respectively on 8TV.

Source: http://galaxieblog.com.my/blog/permalink.asp?id=4151

Chelsea Handler Suri Cruise Jennifer Lawrence Bethanie Mattek Sands

No comments:

Post a Comment