Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Left: Me and my mom circa the early '80s / Right: My grandma, my mom and me
Unfortunately I wasn't with my mom today, but I did get to Skype with her. 
My most recent bond with my mother was through a letter she wrote me right before I moved to the D.C. area. I can't read it without bursting into tears, but one line she wrote touched me and helped me understand myself better. 
Even as a young girl, you always knew what you wanted, and there was a subtle determination about you that sent a loud and clear signal to a parent not to block the road, but to step aside so that you could find your own way.
This statement confirms my suspicions that in fact I am the same person I was as a child. The amazing thing about my mother (and father) was how they chose to parent me. They did step aside, and encouraged me to follow my heart every which way it went. I love them for that. I can't think of anything my parents could have done better in raising me.

I love the closing line in her letter.
Just like the mother in The Runaway Bunny, if your dreams take you far away from me, I will come and find you.
(Enter tears...)

To show my mom and mother-in-law some love, I sent them MilkShake Bath Soak and Cajeta caramel from the Beekman 1802. I can't wait to see what they think of it!  
If you don't watch the Beekman 1802 show, it's hilarious, and you need to DVR it immediately!

Source: http://www.mimiandmegblog.com/2011/05/happy-mothers-day.html

Candice Michelle Eva Longoria Eva Mendes Jennifer Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment